Sometimes I want to bake something sweet, but I just don’t want a big fuss with a mixer or running the oven for an hour.
These chewy almond squares fit the bill!
They’re basically blondies, but made with almond extract instead of vanilla, and with chopped toasted almonds mixed in instead of butterscotch.
A big thank you to commenter Chris who made these substitutions on our blondie recipe and shared how well they turned out!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, 112 g), melted, plus butter for greasing the pan
- 1 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon of almond extract
- 1 cup (128 g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup toasted, blanched almonds, chopped
- Whole almond halves for decoration
- One 8×8-inch baking pan https://stokvideolar.com